Natural Sore Throat Remedies

Have a sore throat? Assuming that it’s not predicated by post-nasal drip, give a go at these natural remedies:

Sore throat home remedies:

1. Good ol’ honey and lemon. Stir some honey and squirt some lemon juice (fresh is preferred) into tea or just hot water. My favorite is to take a large chunk of lemon, squeeze it into my hot water, then dunk the rest of the chunk in and let it steep.

2. Good ol’ salt water. Dump a couple teaspoons of salt into some hot water, let it dissolve, then gargle away.

3. Throat wrap (from Food & Healing by Annemarie Colbin): Soak a cloth in very cold water. Wrap cloth around the front of your neck. Cover with a small towel. Cover all of that with a scarf and tie to hold it close to your skin. Rest for at least an hour. The cold is thought to bring blood to the area and help with healing and easing inflammation. Hubs and I can attest: it works. No drugs needed!

4. Good old fashioned brandy. Or scotch. Or whiskey. C’mon. You know it’s gonna ease the pain in some way… ;) (I do not advocate alcoholism but I do advocate remedies prescribed by great-grandmas.)

What works for you?

, , , , , ,

11 Responses to Natural Sore Throat Remedies

1. nsees August 16, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Throat Coat tea by Traditional Medicinals…Love it!

2. Sarah White August 17, 2011 at 11:27 am #

I never would have thought of #3. My 18 month old has a coughing/throat thing right now — I’m going to try that with her tonight, provided she lets me!

3. Good Girl Gone Green January 8, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

Never thought of #3! Great tips! :)

• HealthfulMama January 8, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

It works amazingly well!

4. Moriah January 31, 2013 at 6:35 am #

Honey and Lemon, and instead of a lemon I used a 1/4 lime and put it in my tea with the honey, any my throat feels great!

5. carmen Normet April 26, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

great recipes, thank you

6. mamagraham81 September 24, 2013 at 11:09 am #

i grew up on #3! It does work.

• HealthfulMama September 24, 2013 at 11:48 am #

My husband thought I was crazy the first time I suggested it to him, but, yes, it definitely works! You have to be able to rest for an hour and let your body do some work, though, which is why most people don’t give it a try.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Homemade Cold Remedy | HealthfulMama - September 28, 2011

[...] and, not being one to shy away from a good home remedy (read my posts about Allergy Relief or Sore Throat remedies), I thought, “I’ll have to try that!” Of course, that was weeks ago. This [...]

2. Prepare for Winter Colds with Homemade Remedies - August 27, 2012