Elderberry Syrup–for cold and flu season

Elderberries have long been touted for their ability to boost the immune system, among other healthful benefits such as lowering cholesterol and helping with vision. Elderberry remedies have shown success in treating influenza as well.

Increase your body’s flu-fighting superpowers by taking 2 teaspoons (10ml) of elderberry syrup daily. Children over the age of 1 may consume 1 teaspoon (5 ml). As with any medical practice, consult a health professional before starting a new treatment.

cold flu remedy

Elderberry Syrup:

1/2 c. dried elderberries (use 1 c. fresh if available)
3 c. water
1 c. local honey

Place berries in a saucepan and cover with the water.
cold flu remedy

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer over low heat 30-45 minutes.
Smash the berries to a pulp. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and add 1 c of honey, or adjust to taste.

cold flu remedies

cold flu remedies
Bottle the syrup and store in the refrigerator, where it will keep for 2-3 months.

How do you prevent colds and influenza?

Get more natural health tips by subscribing.

We respect your email privacy

, , , ,

11 Responses to Elderberry Syrup–for cold and flu season

1. Sarah Jane December 1, 2011 at 10:43 am #

Thanks!! I’ll be pinning this.

2. Chany December 3, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

Very informative! Thanks!

• HealthfulMama December 6, 2011 at 7:34 am #

No problem–I hope you’ll give it a try!

3. Amy T. December 5, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

Thanks for the recipe! I used to give my boys store bought elderberry syrup during the long Utah winters, but I moved and now don’t have any natural food stores close to me. Now I just have to find out where to buy elderberries, LOL.

• HealthfulMama December 6, 2011 at 7:31 am #

Amy, I ordered mine from Amazon. I looked at a couple of different herb suppliers and this was the best price, even with shipping.

4. Kathleen August 27, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

I just made this per the recipe using 1 c of fresh elderberries. We are fortunate to have many shrub/ tress around our home. Very good syrup but I would suggest adding more than 1 c if you are using fresh berries. Next time I make it, I will use at least 1.5 or 2 cups.

5. HealthfulMama August 27, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Kathleen, that’s awesome! Fresh berries are certainly preferred over dried. Thanks for sharing.

6. amy garcia October 13, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

Would this be fine if I substituted elderberry conserves. Its the only thing my market can get locally

7. Elliott March 13, 2014 at 2:29 pm #

I would purchase this product if I could not find fresh Elderberry at my local whole foods store.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Prepare for Winter Colds with Homemade Remedies - August 27, 2012

[...] Elderberry Syrup [...]

2. :: Good Girl Gone Green » Natural cold and flu remedies  ::  - January 21, 2013

[...] seems as though elderberry syrup is a common remedy. Gretchen from Healthful Mama has a great homemade recipe that I will be making once I find some elderberries, as well as a few other ideas up her [...]