New Documentary Brings Light to Unregulated Chems

I’m very excited about this soon-to-be released documentary entitled Unacceptable Levels which discusses the fact that thousands of chemicals abound in products we use, yet none of them are regulated. This isn’t new to me, however, I fully support any film or organization willing to bring light to the dangerous state of health in our country. Please watch the trailer below and follow news about the film HERE:

toxic cosmetics

Are you as intrigued as I am for the rest of the film?

Here are a few other resources for finding out info on the products you use:

Environmental Working Group SkinDeep Database

The Story of Cosmetics

Cut to the Chase:

The Best Natural Beauty Products from Head to Toe, my personal list of non-toxic products used in my home can be found HERE.

How do you stay away from potentially hazardous chemicals in your home?

, , , ,

8 Responses to New Documentary Brings Light to Unregulated Chems

1. Romina April 12, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

It is difficult to completely switch to all natural products for home use, but I try to use them whenever I can. Unfortunately, the market is inundated with chemical-based products. Yes, they work, but it comes with a price. When buying cleaning products, I tend to look for those that are plant-based.

2. CelloMom April 23, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

Thanks for putting the word out! found you through Small Footprints’ Meet&Greet.

I try to steer away from the glamorous: e.g. the humble castile soap is the best solution for most of my cleaning needs. I lean on the Skin Deep database for everything else: you can’t make any assumptions, even with the “natural” labels.

I’ve been aware of the issue in personal care products, but managed to freak myself out by doing research for a post on car interiors that outgas all sorts of toxins: http://bit.ly/zaSavK I hope this gets covered in the new documentary, we collectively spend so much time in our cars.

• HealthfulMama April 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

Similarly, I am scared by the number of off-gassing that must occur in new housing construction: paint, carpeting, glue, etc. It makes me never want a new house unless I was in control of every aspect of the building process!

3. Ronnie April 23, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

I’m looking forward to this film. I’ve greened up my cosmetics over that last few years because of my fear of toxics from skincare products. One product I’m still working on is hair color (use Aveda, which uses plant dyes but also harsh chemicals). Would love to ditch the color, but I’m not there yet. Are there any natural hair coloring products that work?

Also found you through the Small Footprints’ Meet&Greet!

4. Small Footprints April 23, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

This is such an important subject!! The line in the preview which says that people usually don’t think about this until someone in their lives has cancer is just so incredibly sad. We really need to think about it every time we make a purchase. I began switching to natural products when I got interested in living a greener life. And an interesting thing happened … my allergies got better and my overall health improved. I really believe it’s because I got rid of all the toxins in my home. For cleaning I use vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice & olive oil (depending on the cleaning job). I don’t use make up & only use natural body care products (soaps, lotions, etc.).

Thank you for linking up at our Meet & Greet and for sharing this post.

5. Misty September 20, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

It is not difficult. Buy a gallon of vinegar, a bottle of castile soap, and a box of baking soda. DONE! Cheaper, easier and you can use essential oils to scent it. Why complicate it?

6. HealthfulMama September 20, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

Agreed!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Unacceptable Levels: Support an Incredible Film & Enter to Win $2800 in Non-Toxic Products - October 22, 2012

[...] first shared information about filmmaker Ed Brown’s project, Unacceptable Levels, in April, when Ed first started spreading the news about his film. I was so excited that this film can [...]