In my breastfeeding posts about What to Eat While Breastfeeding and Pumping in Your Classroom, I refer to lactation cookies as a great snack to keep mama energized and the milk flowin’. It was time I shared a recipe of my own! (Read: it was time I stopped sending y’all off my site to other people’s damn cookies.)
So, without further ado, a lactation cookie like none other, packed with all the good stuff those mammary glands (and fading energy) could use: protein from peanut butter and coconut flour, iron from brewer’s yeast and oatmeal, and a nice serving of healthy fats.
A note about the ingredients: Some ingredients, like coconut flour, aren’t always readily accessible (or can’t be found at a reasonable price). If you live in an area with limited options, try Green Polka Dot Box, an online grocery store, that will deliver to your doorstep.
- 1 cup peanut butter (Feel free to substitute another nut butter.)
- ½ cup raw honey (Substitute agave nectar for vegan preparation.)
- ¼ c. flax meal
- 1 cup coconut flour
- ½ cup rolled oats (be sure to choose gluten-free)
- 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast (use brewers yeast if gluten is not an issue)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine ¼ c. flax meal with ½ c. water. Allow to rest while you prepare the other ingredients. The mixture will be ready when the flax has absorbed most of the water and is almost gelatinous.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut flour, oats, baking powder, and brewer's yeast.
- Once the flax mixture is ready, add it and all the remaining ingredients to the flour mixture.
- Stir well to combine. Add more milk in tablespoon increments, if necessary. (Coconut flour has a tendency to soak up all the liquid.)
- Once a dough has formed, roll into 1" balls and place on cookie sheets.
- Flatten each ball with a fork before placing in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
Scarf these cookies for a mid-afternoon snack with a glass of coconut or hemp milk, or, double the lactation benefits and have them with a tall glass of stout beer!