These game-day favorite recipes & photos are brought to you by Natalie Slater, recipe developer at Lifeway Foods (Game Day Guacamole and Spinach Quesadillas with Farmer Cheese) and Stephanie Schuh, creator of The Science of Eating (blog) (Chicken and Spinach Hot Pockets).
Enjoy the game!
Chicken & Spinach Hot Pockets
- 4 Egg Roll Wraps
- 1 Cup Spinach, chopped fine
- 4 oz of precooked chicken, in cubes or strips, or 1 pkg of faux chicken (like Gardein Chick’n Strips)
- 1/2 medium Onion, chopped fine
- 4 Tbsp. Farmers Cheese or cream cheese
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 Egg White
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and aluminum foil covered cookie sheet with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix cheese, garlic powder, salt and Italian seasoning, set aside.
- Place an egg roll wrap onto a dough press and brush with egg white.
- Fill wrap with 1/4 of the onion, 1/4 cup spinach, a few chicken strips and 1 Tbsp. cheese mixture.
- Fold the dough press over, pushing down firmly to seal the wrap, removing excess wrap that is left over.
- Place on greased cookie sheet, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Game Day Guacamole
- 4 ripe avocados
- ½ red onion, minced (about ½ cup)
- 1/2 cup Lifeway Lowfat Plain Kefir
- 1-2 Tbs fresh lime juice (to taste)
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ – 1 tsp chili powder (to taste)
- ½ ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
- Cut avocados in half and remove the pits. Scoop avocado out from peels and place in a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the avocados. Add the chopped onion, lime, salt, pepper and chili powder and mash together.
- Keep tomatoes separate until you’re ready to serve. Store in the refrigerator with plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent browning. Just before serving, mix in the chopped tomato.
So, what are some of your favorite game-day treats?
Football Image: SXC