A few nights ago, our son, who was already battling a cold, walked into the room holding both of his ears and crying in pain. His situation quickly got worse from there. He became inconsolable, spiked a fever, and was unable to relax. It was after six o’clock, we’re in a new city, and we don’t have a regular doctor yet. Until we could contact someone in the morning, we needed to get this boy through the night. I’ve used garlic for treating colds in the past, so I knew of its anti-inflammatory properties. I also knew that garlic oil is supposedly good at relieving ear pain, so we decided to give it a go. Amazingly, it worked. Little Bear seemed to calm down and his ears seemed to cause him less pain after using the oil. You can find the recipe below.
I love using natural remedies for our family, but I’m no doctor. Please consult a health practitioner on matters of physical care. We took our little boy to the doctor the following morning and he, indeed, had a double ear infection.
Garlic Oil for Earaches
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Heat olive oil on med-low until warmed. Remove from heat.
- Place garlic into the olive oil and allow to soak for 30 minutes. (Be sure you haven't heated your oil to a high temperature; you don't want to cook the garlic!)
- Be sure your oil is around body temperature. Too warm can cause damage. Too cold can be painful.
- Strain the oil of the minced garlic before use.
- To use:
- for Children: Place 1 drop in the affected ear(s)
- for Adults: Place 2-3 drops in the affected ear(s)
- Repeat several times throughout the day, as necessary for the pain.