Some might say that this American-Euro-Mutt has no business showing readers how to make rice and beans. Those people are probably correct. There is not one ounce of Latina blood in my veins as much as I like to roll my R’s and shake my hips. I should probably stick to meals that involve potatoes and cabbage. ¡Pero, me encanta el arroz con frijoles! This is my go-to meal when I’ve run out of ideas, or when I am short on time, and it comes out quickly and deliciously EVERY TIME. Try it for yourself!
Healthful Mama’s Go-To Rice & Beans
(serves 4) [pinit]
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 can black beans, liquid included
1 large white or red onion, peeled and quartered
2-3 bell peppers, any color(s), stem and seeds removed
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 T. olive oil
1 1/2 T. cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
salt and pepper
chopped parsley or cilantro (optional)
hot sauce (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil on med to med-high heat in a large pan.
2. Meanwhile, throw all of your vegetables into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. *This makes enough to freeze half for another recipe or an easy dinner on another night!*
3. Saute the vegetables, spice, and salt and pepper in the oil until the veggies are softened.
4. Add beans & liquid; allow to simmer for one minute.
5. Add the rice; stir through until thoroughly combined with the pepper mixture.
6. Allow to simmer for a few minutes to combine the flavors. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve topped with fresh parsley or cilantro and hot sauce, if desired.