This weekend officially marks the start of summer in my neck of the woods, er, stretch of the beach. But we’re a camping family, too, and often enjoy replicating the comfort of a campfire in our backyard. This recipe for “bread on a stick” couldn’t be easier, and it’s quite delicious, too! Pull out those camp chairs, gather some wood, watch the fireflies come out, and get a jump start on your warm-weather memories. Hail to summer![pinit]
Summertime Campfire Treat: Cinnamon Sugar Stick Bread
- 2 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 T cinnamon or more to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine olive oil and water.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture and mix until a soft dough is formed.
- Use immediately or place in fridge or freezer for up to one week.
- Separate dough into 12 pieces, rolling each into a ball.
- Using your hands, roll each ball into a rope (thinner for crispy bread, thicker for doughy bread).
- Wrap each rope around a clean, thin, dry stick (Use a knife to remove any loose bark, mildew, etc.)
- Hold over the coals of a fire for about 5 minutes, turning until dough is browned on all sides.
- Slide the dough off the stick and enjoy!